Friday 20 June 2014

WC I Millau



I decided to go to Millau on Thursday because I hoped to get some time on the water without having to sit in the eddy for hours.

The famous Viaduc de Millau


Different view


When I arrived today I went straight to the playspot after pitching my tent - and what did I see?
Already 8 paddlers on the water - well, it could have been worse...

So I got ready and jumped into the water. The water temperature is a lot better (colder) than in St. Pierre (where it was almost to warm) and I started paddling to get a feeling for the spot.


Hitomi in the late afternoon sun

Loop


It does look quite OK - but it´s really shallow - I had a few light impacts on my bow and also stern and even hit my paddle on the ground.
Then George from the UK tried an Entry-Lunar Orbit and broke his paddle and shortly after that one of the locals hit the stern of his boat really hard and through that had a small wound on his thigh.

After that I paddled very carefully but after like 90 minutes of paddling I went for a loop - not even plugging the bow deep - and got a nasty hit on the ground! So this meant I had to get the epoxy out and fix my boat... again.



Overlook of the area where the Natural Games will be held - kayaking is only one part of a big Sports and Music Festival!


Some of the paddlers training here I remembered from last years worldchampionship - especially Hitomi from Japan.
She came 2nd in last years worlds after ClaireO but I think - with ClaireO not here - she´s the one to beat! She´s been linking moves really nicely and her McNasties are huge! I can´t wait to see here in the competition!

Also George is going to be good to watch - he´s just got a unique style - I just hope he´ll find a spare paddle soon!



After paddling I went into the city for a short walk - Millau got a lovely historic center!
Here are a few impressions:









 

And some pics of me from Fridays first training session: 

 Loop - still afraid to damage my kayak...


in the middle of  Split Wheel




No comments:

Post a Comment