Tuesday 17 November 2015

Worlds Recap - better late than never!

As I´m preparing to fly to London for the annual SAS Hurley Classic I remembered that I still had this summary of the 2015 Kayak Freestyle Worldchampionship on my computer! I started this write-up while waiting for my plane at the Montreal-Airport (!)  - so quite some time ago - and finished it over the last few weeks. Here you go:

2015 ICF Freestyle Kayak Worldschampionship 

The 2015 Freestyle Kayak Worldchampionship has ended – so it´s time for a recapitulation!
I´ve benn to Canada for 2 weeks and 2 days now and I´m now sitting at Pierre Elliot Trudeau Airport in Montreal with a few hours till my plane will leave.

When I arriving in Canada over 2 weeks ago I was surprised by how hot and humid the weather was here – I´d expected it to similar to our weather at home. I stayed in Montreal to paddle at the famous Habitat 57 wave in the St. Laurent river – and that was a very good decision! Almost no queue in the eddy, very friendly surfers and warm weather and water! This wave is just beautiful – with a green shoulder but a big foam-pile so you can throw any move there!

The city itself is beautiful too – especially the old quarters where my hotel was is really nice! Good food, nice scenery, street art on every corner in the artistic district, the quartier des spectacles – just perfect.

After 2 days of surfing Habitat 67 I left Montreal to head to the Ottawa riverfor the official training – I arrived just in time for our first official team training slot on Sunday afternoon. After checking in at Wilderness Tours, the event organizer, camp-ground and party-location all in one, I drove to the put in for the Lorne rapid. This rapid has a few different faces – depending on the time of the year and the water level: in summer with low water levels the wave forming there is called Garburator – and there is definitely a reason to this name! In spring when the water level is about 2 meters higher about 150 meters downstream of “Garb” forms another wave – big and intimidating: it´s called Buseater or Mini-Bus, depending on the level! This was the site of the 2007 Kayak Freestyle Worldchampionship and definitely a place I´d like to come back to see in its full glory!

As our time slot was the last official on sunday I stayed on the water for the open training session to paddle a bit longer. Garburator is a very unique feature and needs some time to get used to and adopt to the speed of the wave and foam-pile on top of it!
With one hour daily official training for about 22 paddlers time on the wave was precious – we mostly didn´t get more than 5 rides so we had to get on the water during the open training session – which were from 5pm till 9am. During daylight the eddy was usually crowded so the organizers put lights up to make it possible to paddle in the night also – I decided to go out early in the morning and found that the line-up in the eddy was OK around 6am!
Paddling here reminded me a little bit of Uganda: the water is a lot warmer here than it is at home, so most of the times I paddled short-sleeved!

During this first week more and more paddlers from all over the world arrived and the river and eddy buzzed with activity. It was good to meet people again I hadn´t seen for almost 2 years – since the last Worldchampionship in North Carolina! Catching up with friends from near and far, cheering each other on while paddling – the kayaking community is not that big, so we know each other and the mood is always very amicable!
I took loads of pictures during training but also during the competition – here are a few selected:

Doug "Shreddog" Cooper

George Heyworth Hill

Claire O´hara

James "Pringle" Bebbington

Mireia Serres

Part of Team Uganda: Amina and David

Hugo Anthony

Raphael Scheu

Katya Kulkova

Adrienne Levknecht

Emily Ward

Overview of the "Garb"

Team of Judges and Officials

Team GB coach Dennis Newton with Adam Ramadan and James Ibbotson 

Adam Ramadan

Dane Jackson

Kalob Grady

Sam Ward

Bren Orton

Raphael Scheu

Charly Brackpool

Hugo Anthony

Claire O´hara

Quim Fontane

Bren Orton


When the competition drew closer I felt like I could have used a few more days if not weeks to tap into my full potential – but that´s how it goes: you could always use more time ahead of competition!

The night before the opening ceremony I went to Cobden for the Cobden Fair with Dee and Alex – on one hand to catch up with those two amazing people and on the other to see what a fair is like over here! And it´s definitely something you need to see when you are in Canada or the US! Though I guess once is enough! The had a demolition derby but not only with patched up cars but also with combine harvesters – really bizarre!

The next day the opening ceremony took place at Beachburg, a closeby town in the Whitewater Region – yes, that´s what it´s called! The procession through the small town was very interesting – from harvesting machines to old canoes made from bark to typical American oldtimer cars!
After the usual speeches and a few presentations of local customs we got and amazing dinner – the best roast-beef I´ve had in a long time!

So the Worlds were officially opened!


First competition was the squirt boat class – a unique form of kayaking and probably the origin of modern freestyle kayaking! It was to be held in a single day, because the location, an eddy-line called Smoothie was on an island in the middle of nowhere! The crowd consisted mainly of friends and family of the participants and the other paddlers who came out to support them!
What we got to see was really amazing: highest-scoring ride in the women and also the men´s class and the longest downtime in both classes at an ICF worldchampionship!!
This spot – Smoothie – is also the location for the Jimmy-Cup: the worldchampionship for “downtime”! The paddlers use the same squirt boats – but the goal is to use the currents on the eddy line to go underwater as long as possible!  


Claire O´hara after taking home her 4th consecutive victory!

On Tuesday the it was time for the surface boats to start the competition!
First up was the OC1 class followed by the Junior Ladies and Men!

After that we had our training session, which was one of the better sessions I had – only few people on the water, a good friend joining me on the water – just good times!

Wednesday was going to be an important day: K1Men preliminaries!
I was up in Heat 7 together with Marcel. Heat 7 meant I had to wait for my turn till about 3pm – quite a long time if you´re eager to go out there and put throw out some good rides!
After sleeping a little longer and having a nice breakfast I made my way to the parking lot to listen to some music, make some light lunch and read. After finishing a book I geared up and walked up to the river, crossed it and joined Brendan on the far side to watch the other paddlers for a short while. Before my heat finally started there was a small break so I had a lot of time to get through boat-control (officials making sure you´re using the the same kayak throughout the competition) and do my warm-up on the water.
I was the 8th paddler in the heat so I watched the others before having my first go!
Marcel had a really nice first ride with three more to come as this was a wave-feature (in contrary to a hole feature where we only get 2 rides in the preliminaries).
When it was my turn I didn´t feel overly nervous – just really excited to paddle at the Worldchampionship once again!
It felt really good competing on the Garberator Wave – a really powerful feature! I was content with my first two rides. I could hear the announcers when in the eddy – unfortunately I missed the scores for my own rides! The third was quite OK too but I unfortunately flushed on my last ride – but as only the top 2 scores are counted that was ok.
My teammate Marcel´s runs were very consistent and from what I heard on the water he would make it to the quarterfinals!

After my rides I got off the water and joined Brendan to watch the last heat. The officials had to speed to proceedings up due to an incoming thunderstorm which actually hit just when the last paddler left the wave – a really close call as the wind picked up quite fast and within a few seconds the rain was coming at us horizontal and thunder was cracking all around us! Luckily the the technical crew managed to secure all equipment and all the spectators left the bleachers before the storm! Brendan and myself escaped over a small arm of the river into a nice rock-cave to wait the storm out.
And after about 30 minutes the sun was out again – according to Brendan something very common on the Ottawa river!

After paddling over the river I checked the scores – and I was appalled!
190 points in my first and 181 in my second – that was far from what I had expected and even further from what I had hoped to achieve!
All the resentment I felt after the last Worldchampionship in North Carolina came up again and dulled the excitement about being on the Ottawa paddling with the best of the best!
Shortly afterwards one of the judges – Trevor from Montreal, who I spent some time with during this trip - asked me how it went, but by then I was already over the disappointment and answered accordingly: It did not go as I had wished but that I could definitely see some improvement over the last Worldchampionship two years ago. He actually laughed and said, that this attitude was typical for us Europeans and that the Americans were totally different!

Luckily Dee Paterson took some photos of me – thank you very much Dee!!!
Here they are:










And a few more by Philip Robert - thanks Philip!






And here´s a nice one from the Smoothy Eddy (were the Squirt-Boat competition took place and I put in to paddle the McCoy - rapid below and surf the 2 waves at the end of that rapid, taken by Alex Edwards


From all the people watching live in Canada and friends and family watching on the internet at home I got mainly positive feedback – something quite in a big contrast to what I actually scored.
So after returning to Wilderness Tours I checked the days livestream and watched my first two rides: On some of the moves I didn´t have the right angle, but some were definitely under-scored by the judges. Probably due to the angle the judges had on to the wave, cause on the video camera positioned upstream I definitely did Panams – only not getting them scored.
Still, seeing how my moves looked I wished I had had more time to work on them – especially on the backwards moves, as I rarely got the angles or the timing right!

So another lesson learned, a little wiser and more experienced I set out to enjoy the rest of the competition and cheers fellow paddlers and friends on.

The rest of the Competitions went by in a blur! I saw some of the craziest rides I´ve ever seen on a wave! In some classes there were surprises on the podium in others “the usual suspects” did it again!
Here´s the top 3 in every category with a short comment:

Squirt Women
1. Claire O´hara
2. Hitomi Takaku
3. Motoko Ishida

In quite impressive manner Claire claimed here 4th consecutive title as female Squirt Boat Worldchampion! It was impressive to watch those ladies perform at Big Smoothie and see Claire changing between paddle, hand-paddles and no paddles for her victory lap – just amazing stuff!
And the Jez proposing to Claire in the eddy after she took cold – nice call there Jez!

Squirt Men
1. Stephen Wright
2. Clay Wright
3. Ben White

Stephen was actually on a reserve spot for the team – but the battle between him and Clay was crazy to watch! It was also good to see Ben come out of retirement to compete at the same spot where he took the Worldchampionship-Title in 2009!
A shame that my friend Alex, who´s reigning European Champion didn´t get his misterymoves as he wanted – still a great performance and I´m sure he learned a lot on this trip and will be back for next Worlds!

Alex Edwards



Well, OC1 is a special class – big open boats, but those guys where throwing Pistol Flips!

OC1
1. Andrew Hill
2. Dane Jackson
3. Brad McMillan

Well, OC1 is a special class – big open boats, but those guys where throwing Pistol Flips!

K1 Junior Women
1. Sage Donnelly
2. Darby McAdams
3. Sophie McPeak



K1 Junior Men
1. Hugo Anthony
2. Alec Voorhees
3. Hugo Scott

Hugo Scott was leading after the semifinals, but my bet was Hugo Anthony – he paddled so well in the trainings I watched, and he pulled it off in the Final too! Those guys still have a long way to go – but the Hugo´s are some paddlers we´ll see for many more years to come!

C1
1. Dane Jackson
2. Seth Chapelle
3. Zachary Zwanenburg

Dane did it! After his 3rd place at the Nantahala two years ago he now managed to paddle to the top – he just seems to be the universal paddler!



K1 Women
1. Emily Jackson
2. Hitomi Takaku
3. Claire O´hara

This class was quite open till the end – Claire just sneaked through to the Semi- and then Finals, but Emily was just the more consistent paddler! Hitomi paddled really well but ended up in 2nd place again! Those ladies definitely gave their best – but I´ve seen bigger scoring rides and there´s still a lot to come!



K1 Men
1. Dane Jackson
2. Mathieu Dumoulin
3. Nick Troutman

K1 Men – that was just insane! Already in the Semifinals the scores were high and very close together. Dane sitting in only the 2nd place pulled of a crazy first ride – which put him into leading position. The others tried again and again to beat Dane´s high-score but couldn´t get their perfect rides! Then Dane pulled out an even higher scoring ride with only Nick to take the victory away! After 2 not so good rides there was a lot of pressure on Nick´s shoulders – this also being his homespot where he grew up – he stepped up his game and placed third in the end!
My two personal favorites – Quim and Bren – ended up 4th and 5th, not being able to repeat the rides they had shown earlier in the competition.



All in all the level of the competition was amazing, the level pushed farther up, everyone getting more and more professional! And all this with a perspective towards K1Women and K1Men class having a chance to become Olympic disciplines!
So there are very interesting times ahead of us!


Personal résumé:

Regarding the location – the mighty Ottawa river – this was the best competition I´ve been to so far. And the general mood was great – everybody being so hospitable and friendly. And the sportsmanship was great too!
But the organisation was the worst I´ve ever experienced! The updates on the schedule were scarce and sometimes nobody at all knew about the events that should take place - I´m thinking of the closing ceremony here: with a notice about 15 minutes before it actually started all the athletes were supposed to be there in the team-outfits! So quite a big part didn´t show up at all! Which is a shame as the ceremony itself was good with nice fireworks to close the games!

And the thing that annoyed me most was the commentators – except Jez who did a good job!
But the others were calling wrong moves and this was far from “Worldchampionship-worthy” in my opinion – and I´ve done this a few times myself! And if you are announcing during an international competition you should at least try to get the names right! And at some point I also felt it was a bit unfair that some people could hear their scores in-between the rides and others could not, so some where given an advantage- unintended of course - but an advantage still. I think there need to be more precise rules about the "live-scoring" during events like worldchampiobships: that there needds to be a screen perfectly visible for athletes on and off the water and for the coaches too! With regard to all the technical gear they brought in for the competition one screen more shouldn´t have mattered!

In the end it was another great experience and memory for a lifetime and another lesson learned!

Here´s all the linksto the photos I took:













Supported by


No comments:

Post a Comment