Monday 7 July 2014

Wrap Up WC 2 Salt - WC 3 Sort has just started!

Is was quite happy with my result from the 1st World Cup in Millau and felt confident that I could repeat the rides in Salt – maybe even improve them a little!

Of what I´ve heard from Quim Fontané the feature at Salt should be more to my liking – looking a little bit like a small version of the playspot on the Pidgeon River in the US where I trained during the Freestyle World Championship last year.

When I arrived in Salt I – like almost everybody else – I had some trouble finding the event location.

When I finally managed to get there it looked quite OK – maybe a little bit flushy.
After a little bit of paddling Quim arrived – he had rebuilt the hole just a week ago after a flood had changed it – he said that there would be a change to the waterlevel – it was still too high.

The next day the level was fine and I started to get used to the feature – and I really liked it!

I managed to piece a run together that would get me more points than my runs at Millau and I felt confident to pull them off during the competition.

When the prelims started there where some insanely huge rides – the Pro´s are taking Freestyle to a whole new level!

When my heat was up I did my usual warm-up and got into my kayak to get to the boat control. After this was finished there was a sudden announcement of a short break – only 5 minutes.
But then it turned out the reason for that break was that the judges ran out of Coffee (!) and there was a Freudian slip – announced over the sound system: “... can we get the coffee to the coffee-tent... ah judges tent...”
The short break stretched into long minutes and I tried to take it with humour – but the wait and the whole incident unnerved me and I didn´t manage to settle back into my competition state of mind.

My first run turned out to be ok – even got a Phonics Monkey in just ahead of the buzzer – unfortunately I flushed and so it didn´t count.
Till it was my turn again I tried to find the right mindset to throw a good ride – which I couldn´t – totally buggered my second ride (I only scored 6 points) – which put me into 46th place – far behind my expectations.

These kind of incidents still really upset me – especially when seeing to what level the actual paddling is going and then there are quite big unprofessional mistakes in the organisation.
And there were a few other things that I thought quite upsetting – like changing the schedule – but only minutes ahead of the new time and rushing paddlers into their kayaks way ahead of the time.

Still – the whole organisation of the event done my so many volunteers was really great!
The free accommodation in a hostel in the heart of Girona was nice – just a short walk from those amazing icecream shops and all those fancy dinner places!

That opening ceremony with the drummers and the dance performance was the best I´ve seen so far.

And then there was the paddling to witness at the Quarter- and Semifinals – it was amazing!!
Quim Fontané, Nick Troutman, Dane Jackson and Courtney Kerin did an awesome job on the microphones and there was a big crowd on the stand almost all the time so the atmosphere was great! And I seldom witnessed a Final with more suspense! The guys did a really impressive job!
With the livestream even people at home could follow the events.

Here´s the final results:


1 1,493 1,493 1,430 1,296  2 JACKSON Dane USA
2 1,406 1,243 1,406 763     11 DUMOULIN Mathieu FRA
3 1,406 1,056 1,030 1,406  3 FONTANÉ Joaquim ESP
4 1,363 1,343 1,220 1,363  1 CSONKA Peter SVK
5 811     811  760     353     12 THEVENET Abel FRA


Here are a few impressions from prelims:

Bartosz Czauderna

Peter Csonka



Rob Crowe




One day we spent in the city of Girona which has a lovely historic center with an old cathedral.



































And here are some pictures of the finals!!!

Junior Ladies:
Nuria Fontané





Emma Witherford









Senior Ladies

Emily Jackson



Nicky Beeby





Zosia Tula

Katya Kulkova

Adriene Levknecht





Adam Olesinksi cheering on his Team

Hitomi Takaku

Courtney Kerin





Senior Men


Rob Crowe





Brandon Hepburn



GB Team support

Jason Craig

Peter Csonka

Nick Troutman

Quim Fontané







Footprints of winners!

Alex Edwards going for a mystery move.

And that´s me - picture by Alex Edwards, thank you for the awesome shot!


WC 3 Sort

After everything finished in Slat we moved on to Sort – into the middle of the pyrenees just a little bit to the south-west of Andorra – to Sort.
It was a nice scenic drive into the mountains and Sort is a small city – literally in the middle of nowhere, but:

It´s the final Stage of the World Cup!

When I arrived ad Sort I went straight to the playspot – and my worst fears were confirmed: it was on low water and a nasty shallow whole on surfers right and a trashy wave hole on surfers left.
During my session I heard the people had already damaged their boats and two of the juniors paddling in the same session hit their helmets on rocks in the middle of the feature.
The officials promised more water for the next day (there should be enough because it had been raining quite a bit for the last week).

This morning when I got up I walked the 3 steps to the river – and the water was acutally about 15cms higher than the day before!

Till noon we had open training session, meaning that everybody could get on the wave and start getting used to it – and that´s what I did!
I only paddled for about 30 minutes but the wave felt a lot better today.

In the afternoon during the official training session the waterlevel was even higher – the left side of the feature was more wave than before!
So over all this is a fun feature to play around – but definitely not a competition feature!
I managed to get a few decent rides – although I still find it hard to actually find the setup to start my moves. One more day left for training – that´s not much at all...

After what we´ve seen in Salt this is going to be a sad ending for the World Cup.

There will also be a livestream for the competition - here´s the link:


http://www.icfkayakfreestyleworldcup3-sort.com/streaming.html 

And here's a picture of the feature with me doing a right blunt:




And as always: a big Thank You to my supporters!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment