Thursday 1 May 2014

Uganda Camp - World of Champions / Athlete Development Program


World of Champions/Athlete Development Program Uganda Camp

This visit to Uganda should be dedicated to kayaking – to develop my skills and increase my abilities – not only on the water but also my state of mind!
For that reason I was really stoked when I got the invitation by Den to join in on the training program by Sweetwater Coaching and KJO taking place in Uganda!

I decided to come here earlier so I´d have time to stop by in Bujagali and say hello to my friends there and then head to the Hairy Lemon to get ready for the training!

I had a blast in Bujagali and Jinja around all those wonderful people at the Soft Power Health Clinic – I miss you guys a lot!

Frangipani at the Hairy Lemon


Then, at the Hairy Lemon, it was time to paddle those beautiful waves again! I was to lucky to hitch a ride with Sam and Emily and after arriving we went straight to the river! After Sam and Emily left I was on my own for a few days – so I helped Paul with a few things on the Island that needed to be done. When I felt that paddling on my own started to become boring another kayaker showed up: Rush Sturges!
It was awesome to paddle with Rush – one of the icons of playboating and whitewater kayaking of the last few years!
He came to Uganda as a preparation for the Whitewater Grand Prix!


Rush  doing a Clean Blunt


It took me almost 10 days to get back into shape after rarely paddling for the last 3 months – but when Den, Jacko and the others arrived, I was back at where I left Uganda 3 and ½ months earlier!

The program itself was a huge experience!
It was not only about paddling but a holistic approach – giving us so many possibilities to work with – it just opened a totally new horizon for me!
Even Rush asked to join in on the training
New meanings of training – even if you´re far from any playspot or water – we´ll see how this works out for this years competitions!

Nicky, Quim, Paula and Jacko


Also the group was really great – thanks Nicky, Paula, Quim and Rush for the awesome time!

And of course Den and Jacko thank you for everything!

I highly recommend this program if you really want to push your boundaries in freestyle kayaking!


World of Champions / Athlete Development Program

One Saturday we went to Jinja for lunch - it was Nicky´s birthday too!


Now here are the pictures:

Small lizard on the river shore


Rush during a afternoon session


Myself doing a Back Blunt, Photo by Dennis Newton 


Nicky on club wave doing a lefty Blunt


Den showing us how it´s done!


Jacko - prepared for another session


Another Back Blunt, Photo by Dennis Newton


Queuing up for the rope at Nile Special


 Nice perspective of Club Wave, photo by Dennis Newton


Rush on Nile Special


Quim on Nile Special


Lefty Blunt, photo by Dennis Newton


And another Back Blunt, Photo by Dennis Newton 


Yessssss - there´s a climbing wall at the Hairy Lemon, thanks to Paul
and Brendan!!! Good work guys!




And a big thank you to my supporters:


No comments:

Post a Comment